We’re less than a week away from Valentine’s Day and love it or loathe (hate) it, many couples and would be couples will be celebrating the day in some form or other. (My next post will talk about these different ways).
Last year I shared 10 love idioms that you could use with your loved ones. This year I’d like to share with you 14 (for 14 February!) love quotes that Shakespeare penned (wrote) in his plays. Shakespeare is the most quoted English writer and many of his quotes have become part of the English Language. In fact, I shared some of those expressions in this post.
I found the following quotes from this wonderful site called No Sweat Shakespeare. They shared 50 Shakespeare Love Quotes and I’ve chosen 14 of my favourite.
I love the words used not only for the emotion expressed but also because the words can be easily translated into modern English.
Let me know if you agree with me.
1.“If music be the food of love, play on”
Twelfth Night – Act 1, Scene 1
2. “The course of true love never did run smooth”
A Midsummer Night’s Dream – Act 1, Scene 2
3. “She’s beautiful, and therefore to be wooed; She is woman, and therefore to be won”
Henry VI Part 1 – Act 5, Scene 2
4. “I love you more than words can wield the matter, Dearer than eyesight, space and liberty”
King Lear – Act 1, scene 1
5. “The sight of lovers feedeth those in love”
As You Like It – Act 3, Scene 4
6. “I would not wish any companion in the world but you”
The Tempest – Act 3, Scene 1
7. “For where thou art, there is the world itself, And where thou art not, desolation”
Henry IV Part 2 – Act 3, Scene 2
8. “I humbly do beseech of your pardon, For too much loving you”
Othello – Act 3, Scene 3
9. “Speak low if you speak love”
Much Ado About Nothing – Act 2, Scene 1
10. “Hear my soul speak. Of the very instant that I saw you, Did my heart fly at your service”
The Tempest – Act 3, Scene 1
11. “Who ever loved that loved not at first sight?”
As You Like It – Act 3, Scene 5
12. “Love is a smoke and is made with the fume of sighs”
Romeo & Juliet – Act 1, Scene 1
13. “Love sought is good, but given unsought is better”
Twelfth night – Act 3, Scene 1
14. “Her passions are made of nothing but the finest part of pure love”
Antony & Cleopatra – Act 3, Scene 5
Have these quotes inspired you to write your own message of love for your loved one? I hope so!
If you liked this post please share it. And don’t forget to subscribe to my blog so you don’t miss out on my posts.
Ciao for now
Need more help to MASTER Business English?
Get your FREE e-book & bonuses NOW!
Join the English With A Twist (EWAT) community
This means that you'll receive my free e-guide + my weekly lessons via email.
You'll also be the first to know about any live lessons and events I run.
AND you'll receive the occasional email about my products and coaching programs.
You can unsubscribe at any time.