When most language learners are asked to list the Masters of English Literature, Oscar Wilde‘s name rarely appears high on the list, if he appears at all. And yet, he was one of the most successful playwrights in London in the 1880s. His plays are very popular and their themes still resonate in today’s society.
He was an extremely witty man with a wonderful sense of humour and was well-known for his memorable epigrams or quotes.
In this blog post I’d like to share 10 of my favourite quotes by Oscar Wilde.
2. We have really everything in common with America nowadays except, of course, language.
3. The truth is rarely pure and never simple.
4. I love acting. It is so much more real than life.
6. Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.
7. The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.
8. I am not young enough to know everything.
9. Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
10. A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her.
Which is or are your favourites from this list? Have you heard them before?
Have you ever seen a play by Oscar Wilde? If you haven’t, I would strongly recommend it. Not only is it a fun night out, you will also really enjoy the clever use of language.
If you don’t feel confident enough to watch a theatre production, you could watch the screen adaptations of the plays like ‘The Importance of Being Earnest‘ and ‘An Ideal Husband‘ with English Subtitles.
If you liked this post, please share it. And if you’d like to receive my blog posts in your Inbox, why not subscribe to my blog by entering your email address in the box headed ‘Subscribe to My Blog via Email’.