My husband had an operation yesterday to treat a shoulder injury he sustained while cycling nearly two years ago. He now has his right arm in a sling and won’t be able to drive for at least two weeks. He will need to have physiotherapy to regain full arm and shoulder movement. Luckily, he is left-handed and will still be able to do most things.
This, of course, gave me the perfect opportunity to introduce my next word in my new English Collocations Series which is, surprise, surprise “injury” (noun). And what a happy coincidence when I found this graphic prepared by Younes Hatami on his Facebook Page English Collocations for IELTS. I thought, perfect! This is exactly what I was looking for.
So like in my previous post when I launched the series, I will use the words shown here and give you 10 examples of how you could use these adjectives and verbs and phrasal verbs in a sentence and how they go together or “collocate”. I have also added a few more verbs and adjectives.
The only two words in this image that I’m not too sure about are “carry an injury” and “horrendous injury”. I have to say that I’ve never heard of the collocation “to carry an injury” (please enlighten me) and I would use “horrific” rather than “horrendous’ as a more natural collocation.
1. Jason picked up a nasty ankle injury at football yesterday.
2. Even though it’s a minor injury, it’s going to take at least six months to recover from it.
3. Before every marathon, runners should do a good warm-up to avoid/prevent any serious injuries.
4. The accident was serious but luckily the injuries he sustained are not life-threatening.
5. Ever since my sporting accident ten years ago, I have suffered from this recurring knee injury.
6. I have never been able to understand how some people can inflict such horrific injuries on animals.
7. The drivers of the vehicles managed to escape serious injury in the road collision.
8. Despite falling off her bike, Sally incurred slight injury to her arms.
9. I have been nursing this nagging injury for such a long time that I am really fed-up.
10. The victims suffered multiple injuries in the fire. In fact, some of the injuries could be crippling.
I hope with all this talk of injury, you’re not too depressed!
I hope you enjoyed this post. If you did please share it and don’t forget to subscribe to my blog if you don’t want to miss out on my posts.
Ciao for now